Sunday 10 November 2013

Week - 5 Reflections
So we’ve reached the halfway stage in our journey and how changed we already are! I wonder how the rest of it is going to affect us.

This week brought about a great change in my thinking and attitude. My skepticism about the use of rubrics for student assessment changed into my admiration for them. After reading a lot of articles on alternative assessment and use of rubrics, I finally changed my views about rubrics. NCLRC's article is really impressive with pop-up examples and a detailed information on alternative assessment. It is mainly responsible for my changed attitude towards rubrics. And when I created a sample rubric on RUBISTAR with unexpected ease, I was compelled to think if my laziness wasn’t partly a reason for my disliking of rubrics.

I have always believed in the learning-by-doing technique and PBL for that matter. But I didn’t know many ways of implementing it in an ESL classroom. Now, I have discovered many ways of using PBL in ESL classrooms, which I previously thought wasn’t much feasible. Susan Gaer’s article is wonderfully informative and full of insight about PBL. A carefully planned and managed project can definitely involve the students in the learning process to the extent of educating them according to the course objectives.

Creating a webquest was a unique experience. I’d only heard the word before, but didn’t know what a webquest was. Now I have created one and I strongly feel that I will be using them a lot in future.


This week was also important from the project task point of view. I hope the technology related change I have thought of implementing in my classroom works. If it does, my students will be able to make a better use of their smartphones than making calls or listening to Bollywood songs.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Darshan,
    You mentioned PBL, and how crucial they have become in today's methods of education.You can say that again. For me, before checking the web, watching some vidioes in http://www.edutopia.org/ I had not considered this seriously. But now that we have learned about it, we gotta conduct such projects. Besides, the web given to us by t. Courtney has completed the picture for us teachers. It is as easy as a pie.
    I look forward to reading more about week 6.
    Good luck,
    Waseem Z.

    ReplyDelete